Re: --disable-new-gxx-abi

On 24 Jan 2001, Alexandre Oliva wrote:

> On Jan 24, 2001, Gerald Pfeifer <pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:
>
> > While going through GNATS reports I realized that apparently some
> > people still bootstrap with/use --disable-new-gxx-abi.
>
> Maybe because GDB still doesn't support the v3 ABI, and people who're
> building GCC like that are the kind of people who think debugging code
> with a debugger is still the way to go? :-)
Define support.
We support the mangling.
Basically everything but virtual functions will work, and
virtual functions might work with dwarf2.

> > As far as I understood, we won't support the old API in GCC 3.0, so
> > perhaps now is the time to get rid of it?
>
> On the one hand, removing might serve as a push for the GDB folks to
> catch up ASAP.  OTOH, I'd rather keep it as a fall-back until they do
> :-)

As the C++ support maintainer for GDB, i'm catching up as fast as I can.
Supporting virtual functions for the new abi requires a lot of
architectural rewriting, since the ABI hasn't changed since C++ support
was first added to gdb a billion years ago, and their is no architecture
in place to support multiple C++ abi's (Ie the old-abi stuff is hardcoded
into routines it doesn't belong in).

--Dan