Re: Graph coloring for register allocation?

On Sun, Jan 21, 2001 at 04:44:20PM -0500, Daniel Berlin wrote:

> > Just so we are all on the same page, everyone realizes that the new
> > register allocator will replace the regmove, the local-alloc, and the
> > global-alloc passes, right?
>
> Also, it gets rid of reload unless it's comment at the top of the file is
> lying (we can force).
>
> That means we replace about 25000 lines of code (24,775 according to wc)
> with like 1000 or 2000.

Some other things you might at least try to get rid of:

SMALL_REGISTER_CLASSES (and therefore all kinds of cruft all over the place).
Inability to run the scheduler before register allocation on some machines.
regclass.c (not entirely clear to me what this does)
reg-stack.c
hard-reg-set.h (more cruft all over the place)

zw