Re: "introduce no new bootstrap warning" criteria. was: Loop iv debugging, patch

 > From: dewar@gnat.com
 >
 > <<* On systems where %p isn't supported, the backup method for
 > printing pointers using appropriate sized integer specifiers always
 > causes -Wformat warnings.  I don't think this one has a solution.  >>
 >
 > Yes, it does, you can always get the effect of a warning free cast by
 > casting pointers to two objects. So you can cast a pointer to the
 > pointer to a pointer to int, and then print the contents of this
 > pointer in the proper format.

Ok, using casts at each call site, its possible to fix.  But its still
annoying.  These were just a few examples off the top of my head.  My
point is that many -Wall -pedantic bogosities pop up on oddball
systems.

So I still stand by my assertion that we'd have a heck of a time
getting all warnings ironed out on *all* systems without breaking
bootstrap on some of them if we activate -Werror.

Better to start with a regression checker as a starting point.

		--Kaveh
--
Kaveh R. Ghazi			Engagement Manager / Project Services
ghazi@caip.rutgers.edu		Qwest Internet Solutions