Re: __inline__ keyword in 3.0+?

On Tue, 9 Jan 2001, Tom Leete wrote:

> I was hoping that wasn't the case.
>
> Keeping gcc2.x behavior for '__inline__' while observing standard for
> 'inline' would allow compilation of mixed C99 and old gcc-specific sources.
> Denying that forces disuse of C99 in many situations. The fixinclude could
> then be as simple as a pipe through:

Would keeping the old inline semantics (for both inline and __inline__)
under -std=gnu89, while using the new semantics (for both inline and
__inline__) under -std=gnu99 (which will become the default at some point
once C99 support is ready), suffice?  I feel that would be less confusing
than making different spelling of a keyword mean different things.

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm28@cam.ac.uk