Re: Removal of support for GCC hosted on UWIN

On Tue, 9 Jan 2001, Mark Mitchell wrote:

> I didn't make this decision -- I'm merely representing the FSF
> in this regard, and doing my job as a GCC maintainer to carry out the
> FSF's instructions.

Could all such direct instructions the FSF gives concerning GCC please be
posted to the public GCC mailing lists verbatim or put on the web site
verbatim or both?  (That is, this instruction, and all past and future
instructions.)  Preferably, in future, could the FSF please make their
requests direct to the public GCC lists in the first instance?

I don't object to this particular request, but in general I think the
public mailing lists should be the place such requests (e.g., the past
removal of assignment forms from the website) are justified by the FSF and
discussed in the first instance rather than after action has been taken,
unless a pressing justification for secrecy (e.g. pending or ongoing legal
action) is made.

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm28@cam.ac.uk