Re: Removal of support for GCC hosted on UWIN

On Tue, 9 Jan 2001, Mark Mitchell wrote:

> However, I believe the FSF does not agree with the core assumption in
> your statement; namely, that U/WIN is an operating system.  Instead, I
> think it is viewed simply as a program/library/set of programs that
> run on Windows NT (which *is* an operating system).

Mark,

As someone who worked on x86 UWIN support, I'm obviously interested
in this issue. As I understand from the messages so far, it is in violation
of the GPL to *distribute* UWIN linked binaries; but is it a violation if
a user takes the gcc source distribution and then builds it on a system
that has UWIN installed?

Doesn't x86/alpha Interix support also fall under the same cloud then? It
is also an unbundled product, albeit now owned by Microsoft the OS vendor,
but still not part of the base OS.

Regards,
Mumit