Re: cvs read behind firewall?

Michael Meissner wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 14, 2000 at 05:49:28PM +0100, Christian Jönsson wrote:
> > I have a machine that I'd like to build gcc on from the cvs repository.
> >
> > The machine is behind a firewall but I can ssh myself out using
> > non-privelaged
> > ports, i.e., ssh -P. Now, how do I do this with cvs?
> >
> > This example that I thought could work was performed with a bash shell.
> >
> > administrator@BOTTEN /usr/local/src
> > $ export CVS_RSH=ssh
> >
> > administrator@BOTTEN /usr/local/src
> > $ alias ssh='ssh -P'
> >
> > administrator@BOTTEN /usr/local/src
> > $ cvs -d :ext:anoncvs@gcc.gnu.org:/cvs/gcc checkout gcc
> > Secure connection to gcc.gnu.org refused.
> > cvs [checkout aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages if
> > any)
> >
> > administrator@BOTTEN /usr/local/src
> >
> > Any help with getting cvs access through my firewall is greatly appreciated.
>
> One way to do it, is have a shell script that invokes ssh with -P and set that
> as your CVS_RSH (ie, the alias won't work, because cvs is forking $CVS_RSH
> either directlry or through /bin/sh).

hmm, trying this from home, where I have no firewall, I still can't use
cvs/ssh access:

[chj@arnljot chj]$ unalias ssh
unalias: `ssh' not an alias
[chj@arnljot chj]$ export CVS_RSH=ssh
[chj@arnljot chj]$ cvs -d :ext:anoncvs@gcc.gnu.org:/cvs/gcc checkout gcc
Executing /usr/bin/ssh1 for ssh1 compatibility.
Permission denied.
cvs [checkout aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages
if any)
[chj@arnljot chj]$

So, I guess that the problem here is the inability of gcc.gnu.org to
handle
read-only cvs/ssh access. But, I must also say that perhaps this is
intended
by the GCC team.

Anyway, I tried my best :-)

Cheers,