Why does this happen ??

Hi,
	While I have been trying to compile a large chunk of code I
have the following piece of code ( to reverse a string - which I
have simulated here to highlight the problem)

#include <stdio.h>
#include <string.h>

main()
{
        char    *s="Hello World";
        int     c, i, j;
        for (i = 0, j = strlen(s) - 1; i < j; i++, j--) {
                c = s[i];
                s[i] = s[j];
                s[j] = (char)c;
        }
        fprintf(stdout,"Reversed string=%s\n",s);
}

When I compile this code with gcc, the resulting binary seg
faults. This happens on 2 flavors of O.S that I tried ( My MIPS
based SVR4.2, Redhat Linux)
..

But when I compile the above code on using my native compiler,
the resulting binary works.

Any explanation for this ?. Why does gcc behave like this ?.

Thanks for any pointers.

Koundinya