Re: Questions about the CVS build process

> > 1. Can a snapshot be converted into a CVS sandbox?  I ended up just
> >    doing a full cvs checkout, but at least one other large project
> >    (mozilla) recommends downloading the snapshot, unpacking it, then
> >    using cvs to grab only the deltas since then.  (They apparently
> >    simply package up the CVS subdirectories in the snapshot tar file,
> >    and it "just works."  I'm no CVS guru, so I'm probably missing
> >    something obvious).
>
> Probably.  I see no advantage to it though, you have to download the
> same amount of stuff ultimately.

It won't work curently, because the snapshots don't include the CVS
directories with all the bits and pieces.
And if they did, the Root files there would specify the access method.
So we'd have to standarize on one cvs access method that would be
supported by the snapshots.

There are shell scripts to switch the root and access method, though.

An obvious advantage is that it's easier to mirror snapshots, so you'd
have a wider choice of sites from where to download the bulk of the
stuff you need.  This could help developers in less-well-connected part
of the net.