Re: GNU Fortran 90?

Toon Moene wrote:

> AFAIK GNU Fortran 95 is the only thing going in the direction of a GNU
> Fortran 9x compiler (on GNU/Linux).  g95 is in the stage of finalizing
> the parser.  The next stage is converting the internal data structures
> to GCC trees, which would necessitate bringing it into our CVS
> repository (or else make things very difficult for the developers ;-)
>
> There's no sight of a run-time library for this compiler, though.

Apparently there are a whole bunch of scientists very jazzed about
the idea of running OS X on G4s (so sayeth marketing weenies), so
it's possible that Apple will develop an official interest in making
sure G95 is available...

> Are you sure the Apple guys aren't thinking of the (GPL'd) SGI compiler
> (which only works on Itania) ?

Quite possibly somebody bragged about porting it to GNU/Linux over
the weekend or something, and that's how the story got started.  I've
challenged our marketeers to come up with the name of an actual person
running an actual F90 program on Linux, we'll see what they find.

Stan