This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
zack's todo list
- To: gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Subject: zack's todo list
- From: "Zack Weinberg" <zackw at stanford dot edu>
- Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 09:56:06 -0800
This is a list of things I'd like to get done before 3.0. Most of
them are performance related.
* GC performance
- Get strings out of the GC arena. (patch submitted)
- Get Laurnyas and Alexandre's patch to make ggc-page usable without
mmap applied, so we can throw away ggc-simple.
- Split arena into separate tree, RTL, misc pools.
- Dual mark bits for trees; avoids millions of calls to ggc_set_mark.
(Requires separate pools.)
- Look into not rounding all allocations up to powers of two.
(Saves large amount of memory.)
- Better GC statistics.
* Junk allocations
- Make __FUNCTION__ et al allocate the string only when used.
(Avoids pointless allocation of strings and decl structures for
every function. May mean we don't need prune_unused_decls
- Lazy make_decl_rtl - avoid allocating symbol_ref RTLs when they
won't ever be used.
- Don't create a complete IDENTIFIER_NODE for DECL_ASSEMBLER_NAME.
* Makefile cleanups
- Run mklibgcc at configure time and merge output into the big
- Compile libiberty for build, get rid of private copies of several
libiberty files (Kaveh has patch already?)
- Do installation in separate shell script?
- Templatized hashtab.c (avoids abstraction overhead, minor speed
- Update cpp.texi