Re: Generation process for cpp.1

On Mon, Nov 13, 2000 at 09:24:27AM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Zack Weinberg <zackw@Stanford.EDU> writes:
>
> > Yes.  This is still a problem with podlators-1.04.
>
> > .Sh "Brief description of \f(CW\*(C`gcov\*(C'\fR data files"
>
> > I think the final \fR should be \fP.
>
> \fB, you mean?  Ugh... this is a real mess.  That puts pod2man in the
> situation of having to know what font the underlying macros are using for
> a minor section header, and it could legitimately differ between different
> man implementations.

Um, no, I meant \fP, which switches to the previous font.  This only
works if there's been exactly one font change, if you do a second one
you're hosed.

> Bleh.
>
> This isn't the first time that I've realized that *roff made a really bad
> mistake by not having a stack of font changes that could be popped off,
> only an escape to set the font to something in particular.

Well, it *does* actually, it's just only one change deep.  But no
argument from me here... and it's not just fonts, either.

> > There is also a lengthy block of blank lines at the end of the nroffed
> > manpage.  I don't know where they come from, but they only show up in
> > pod2man-generated manpages, and not all of them either...
>
> Hm.  I don't know why it would only show up in pod2man man pages.  I tend
> to see that all the time with all man pages when using a pager without the
> -s option (which man normally adds to the pager invocation to squeeze out
> blank lines) as *roff tries to fill out the last "page" with blank lines.

I didn't know about -s, but I tested this with 'nroff -man
/usr/man/man1/whatever.1 | less' so that's not a concern.  I only see
the blank lines with pod2man-generated pages.  Also, for some reason I
don't get a page footer except with pod2man-generated pages.  It's
probably a bug in my tmac.an.

zw