V3: Tree slushy

We are not going to be able to do the V3 switch tonight.

I have fixed the compiler bug that was causing the infinite loop I
mentioned earlier.  Unfortunately, that is clearly not the only bug;
"Hello, world" in C++ is failing on Solaris, due to a crash during
static construction.

I am not going to try to debug that tonight.  I will wait for the
tests to run, and then check in the fix for the infinite loop.
Tomorrow, I will try to fix the Solaris iostreams issue.

Since I'm not going to be able to do the switch tonight, and since I
don't want to hold everybody up, let's unfreeze the tree.

On the other hand, please try to be very conservative until we get the
V3 switch done; if things get screwed up we'll get stuck for another
week ironing out the bugs.  If things get crazy, we'll refreeze the
tree -- so let's all be very careful.  Let's avoid cleanup patches, or
major changes -- just do important bug-fixes.  I think we can still
get the V3 switch done tomorrow.

Thanks,