Re: [discuss] AMD x86-64 GCC development

 > I'm confused about where this is being done.  Is this being done on a

Richard, I'm confused by your statement.  AFAIR you're on the x86-64
lists since the beginning and should have read all the discussions
that were going on.  Please check the archives and the www.x86-64.org
website again.  I really don't understand why you're asking these
questions.  But since you've asked on some public lists that might not
be involved with the x86-64 port, I'll answer in some more detail for
the benefit of others.

 > private CVS tree or in the main GCC CVS tree.  If in the former, what is
 > the plan to merge it into the main tree?

The gcc work for AMD x86-64 is done on a *public* CVS tree that has
been started from the gcc.gnu.org CVS tree at the end of september and
officially announced (see
http://www.x86-64.org/mailing_lists/list?listname=announce&listnum=5).

The port of GCC to x86-64 is openly discussed on the x86-64 mailing
lists, all contribution to the port is under the GPL.  As has been
mentioned several times on the x86-64 mailing lists, everybody is
invited to participate on the port - this includes work on GCC and
also the other ports.  The understanding of the developers is that the
work is handled the same way the projects handle it, e.g. for GCC we
require that code will be assigned to the FSF and follow the GNU
coding standards.

We've created separate CVS trees for (so far) GCC, Binutils, Glibc and
the Linux kernel.  When the x86-64 port to GNU/Linux is in a stable
state, the CVS tree will be merged with the mainstream tree of the
different projects (according to the rules set up by the projects),
e.g. with GCC's tree at gcc.gnu.org with submissions to
patches@gcc-gnu.org with proper ChangeLogs etc.

To keep the merging work small it's a good idea to get changes to the
generic code, especially bugfixes for bugs that were exposed in the
x86-64 port, as soon as possible into the official repositories.

If anybody likes to have a look at the port and the mailing lists, the
web side is www.x86-64.org.

Andreas Jaeger
x86-64 developer
--