Re: help installing gcc

On Sun, 22 Oct 2000, Mihai Moise wrote:
> I want to develop gcc, but at my university, we have only Solaris and
> I do not have root permission.

I have ;-), but I never use it to install on my sparc-sun-solaris2.[68]
boxes, as I don't install into /usr.

> The only way to get gcc to compile is either to tell bison not to look
> for bison.simple in /usr/local/share or to get it to compile under
> yacc.

If you use releases and snapshots, yacc/bison should not be required
at all; if you use CVS, you need that, but I have no problem with bison
at all.

bison 1.28 works just fine, as does BSD yacc (unless you want to
build java, as far as I have been told), but Sun yacc probably is
not sufficiently standards compliant?

Gerald