Re: V3 PATCH: Disable wide-character tests where necessary

    Zack> On Thu, Nov 02, 2000 at 11:59:18PM -0800, Mark Mitchell
    Zack> wrote:
    >>  I don't, however, want us making any major changes to the
    >> front-ends at this point.  Or to anything else. :-)
    >>
    >> I'd really like to see everyone focus on 3.0.

    Zack> What's your position on the GC work I've been doing?  It is
    Zack> arguably fixing performance regressions, but it tends to
    Zack> involve major, potentially destabilizing global changes.

I think that some level of compile-time performance improvement is
essential before 3.0, so I think that as long as we can keep it mildly
sane, that makes sense.  We're not presently in a stable state;
there's going to be a lot of bug-fixing on the branch.