Re: C99 status.html query

On Wed, 1 Nov 2000, Neil Booth wrote:

> On the C99 status page it has a box for
>
> "relaxed restrictions on portable header names"
>
> What is this?  As far as I'm aware CPP treats header names fine.  Can
> I delete this line altogether, or just mark it done?

I guess it refers to 6.10.2p5

       [#5]  The  implementation  shall provide unique mappings for
       sequences consisting of one or more letters  or  digits  (as
       defined  in  5.2.1)  followed  by a period (.)  and a single
       letter.   The  first  character  shall  be  a  letter.   The
       implementation  may  ignore the distinctions of alphabetical
       case  and  restrict  the  mapping   to   eight   significant
       characters before the period.

which in C90 6.8.2 was

    There shall be an implementation-defined mapping between the delimited
    sequence and the external source file name.  The implementation shall
    provide unique mappings for sequences consisting of one or more
    letters (as defined in 5.2.1) followed by a period (.) and a single
    letter.  The implementation may ignore the distinctions of
    alphabetical case and restrict the mapping to six significant
    characters before the period.

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm28@cam.ac.uk