Re: frontends.html

many thanks for the email regarding http://gcc.gnu.org/frontends.html

> Given the recent discussions on GNAT, it might be useful if maintainers of
> non-integrated front ends could (a) check the entries for their front ends
> in frontends.html for accuracy and (b) add information about whether their
> front ends work with current GCC CVS, whether they are planned to be
> integrated into GCC, what the obstacles to integration are and any ideas
> of the timescale, etc. (sending patches for frontends.html to
> gcc-patches@gcc.gnu.org).

regarding gm2:

(a)  entry is accurate
(b)  certainly I'd like to see gm2 integrated with gcc. All
     copyright assignment to FSF have taken place.
     From the discussion with the gcc maintainers (circa 2000-08-25)
     on gcc mailing list it seems that it might be prudent to wait
     until gcc-3.0 is released. The gm2 front end did work with
     egcs-20000828 (it built itself and supporting utilities),
     but it currently does not work with the egcs-20001016 snapshot.
     (Obstack changes). In due course I could checkout the gm2 sources
     which were compatible with egcs-20000828 and create a tar ball
     on floppsie.comp.glam.ac.uk if required?

     As for timescale: given that there is plenty of room for
     improvement and extensions I'll divide the answer into two:

     Short term: get gm2 build from the current egcs. This requires:

     fixing obstack problems, stress test/fix the configure and
     build mechanism on machines other than 80?86 GNU/Linux,
     adding tests to a formal testsuite, documentation, test, test, etc.

     In the longer term: improve the library support, coroutines,
     language dialect switches, preprocessor etc, etc.

When appropriate I'll send the html patches as requested

hope this helps,

Gaius