Re: Unifying Bug Reporting Instructions

On Fri, 13 Oct 2000, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:

> I have not received any objections to the following proposal.
>
> Unless I receive any such objections, I plan to remove the redundancy (and
> inconsistency) in our bug reporting instructions by removing them from the
> texinfo documentation and only referring to the web pages and GNATS.

1) The documentation should probably emphasise that the use of GNATS -
either through the gccbug script or GNATSweb - is to be preferred over
mail to gcc-bugs in that reports are less likely to be forgotten if they
go direct to GNATS.

(The gccbug script also includes the release involved, but could it be
made to include an exact release with the date instead of just "2.97"?)

2) The release script should include copies of the online bug reporting
instructions in the release tarball.  The texinfo manual should refer to
the location of this copy in the tarball as well as to the online
instructions.  We should still let people using releases find a bug and
compose their bug report offline without needing to go online to find how
to report bugs.

3) But, yes, given a copy in the release tarball, similar to how various
webpages have been included in past release tarballs, unification is very
desirable.

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm28@cam.ac.uk