Re: Using of parse tree externally

Alexandre Oliva <aoliva@redhat.com> writes:

> Isn't there any way the GCC license could be written so as to make any
> such output a derived work, thereby requiring other programs that use it
> to be GPLed too?

I, like most of the people in this discussion, am not a lawyer, so take
this with a grain of salt, but my understanding is that "derivative work"
is a legal term defined by copyright law.  Either such output is a
derivative work or not; what the license says is irrelevant to that
classification.  If it is a derivative work, it potentially falls under
the license, but if it's not a derivative work under copyright law,
nothing that the license says can make it one.