Requirements for snapshot (was Re: gcc-ss-20001002 is now available)

I was under the impression that, while snapshots weren't guaranteed to be
stable, they would at least bootstrap.

Or to put it the other way, that the snapshot-building script(s) must be
able to do a build before rolling a snapshot.

The 20001002 snapshot is still ICEing from USE/CLOBBER-SET (libgcc2.c
revision 99).  Shouldn't this have prevented a snapshot from going out?
(Since the problem has been there for a while, i.e., not recently suddenly
introduced.)

Have I been making an incorrect assumption all this time?

Phil