Re: hacking gcc - avoiding bootstrap?

<<I hardly ever bootstraped (or installed) as a developer

That seems a bit odd to me, though I am certainly am not very familiar
with working procedures. I would have thought that it was routine to
do a bootstra[p to test any modification that is made. Certainly in
the GNAT world, we do both a bootstrap and our full regression run
for even the simplest change.