Re: Latest snapshot won't build with --enable-libstdcxx-v3

In article <200009201541.e8KFfr711897@mururoa.inria.fr> you write:

>jbuck@racerx.synopsys.com said:
>> I wasn't the person who decided to put in -Werror, but I think it is a
>> very good idea for libstdc++ to use it.
>
>> Warnings produced by the inclusion of system library header files are
>> not acceptable, because it means that no user of the library can use
>> flags like -Wall without being distracted by warnings from the system
>> library. (Old-time Cygnoids are sure to remember how I always used to
>> beat them up for this - libg++ used to always generate piles of
>> warnings, I'd send lots of little patches to fix them, and then the
>> next release would put them all back again).

>> Putting in -Werror forces the developers to produce warning-free code.

>I think that everyone agrees that it is a good idea. Unfortunately,
>it sometimes prevents people (I'm among them) to compile libstc++-v3
>because of bugs in their system include file (which sadly is a not so
>old glibc) which is bad, and for which we do not have any workaround
>currently.

In my opinion, that should only be more incentive to put pressure on the
guys behind that library to fix the problem.  With all software development
I've seen, putting `work-arounds' in software under development is a very
good receipe to make sure bugs are Not fixed in time for the next release,
as they're not seen to be critical...

From one point of view, glibc is somewhat `special'.

From another point of view, it should be just another system library on
a random system... first, because there is more to gcc than the glibc
(but this is political).  Second, because having to do gcc development
in lock-step with glibc is a sure receipe for disaster.  The looser
coupling, the better (now this is a technical issue).