Re: Silently checking whether diagnostics would occur

 > From: "Joseph S. Myers" <jsm28@cam.ac.uk>
 > >
 > > Although I appreciate now the reasons against using a global var, I
 > > also see maintenance problems down the road ensuring that one always
 > > uses the above idiom when adding new format checks.
 > >
 > > Any ideas on making it more automatic and less dependent on good
 > > behavior?  Since `warning' is a varargs function, for portability
 > > reasons I can't make the above snippet a macro.
 >
 > I'd suggest making this into a format_warning function (taking the int *
 > and the normal warning() parameters).

Wouldn't I then have to use va_arg to process arguments and duplicate
the innards of the `warning' function?  Eh, not too bad I guess.

 >   Remember the calls from tfaff() and
 > maybe_read_dollar_number() and finish_dollar_format_checking() and adjust
 > the parameters of these functions to include the int *, and note that
 > format checking is not presently reentrant because of static variables
 > used in the $ format checking (I've added reentrancy to my TODO list).

Thanks for the heads-up about those ancillary functions, I forgot
about them!  Oh joy, another 10 warning spots on top of the 50 I
already have to fix. :-) BTW, I'll probably nuke tfaff, its a silly
one liner.

 > In addition, -pedantic should not affect code generation, so before
 > calling the format checking the value of `pedantic' should be saved and it
 > should be set to some known value (I suggest 1).

Good point, thanks for the feedback.

		--Kaveh
--
Kaveh R. Ghazi			Engagement Manager / Project Services
ghazi@caip.rutgers.edu		Qwest Internet Solutions