Re: PDP-10 backend for gcc

Michael Meissner <meissner@cygnus.com> writes:

>It would be useful to have GCC be able to deal with different sized pointers
>and/or different encodings for the pointers.  I have run into this on some
>machines, such as the Mitsubshi D10V (function pointers are 16-bit word
>pointers, while data pointers are 16-bit byte pointers), but I suspect you will
>have to get buy-in from the people that work on the front ends (ie, the TREE
>interface), since that is where a lot of the work will need to be done.  Given
>this byte pointer-ness has been in the compiler since its inception, I suspect
>you will find undocumented assumptions rife throughout the compiler.

Way back at gcc-1.* I tried to do a port to TI's TMS340XX processors
which were(are?) bit addressed. The machine description macros in GCC
allowed this to be described just fine - but the code turned out to be
littered with assumptions and non-use of the macros which made the
whole process really hard.

--
Nick Ing-Simmons <nik@tiuk.ti.com>
Via, but not speaking for: Texas Instruments Ltd.