Re: Parallel build on SMP is even more broken.

On Wed, Sep 06, 2000 at 08:31:24AM -0700, H . J . Lu wrote:
> I reported that parallel build on SMP was broken:
>
> http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-bugs/2000-08/msg00557.html
>
> It hasn't been fixed yet. Today, I got a new parallel build problem:
>
> http://ftp.valinux.com/pub/support/hjl/bugs/gcc/smp/build.log.1
>
> I guess no one but I cares about parallel build on SMP.

I believe the problem is caused by this patch:

2000-09-03  Donn Terry  <donn@interix.com>,  Laurynas Biveinis <lauras@softhome.net>

        * Makefile.in: Restructure bootstrap stages to allow clean
        restart after failure.

It is completely bogus. I cannot image anyone, who knows something
about make and cares paralel build, will ok it. It has no dependency:

stage_a:

stage_b:

stage_c:

stage_d:

stage_e:

stage_f:

bootstrap-lean_a:                   stage_a
bootstrap-lean_b:  bootstrap-lean_a stage_b
bootstrap-lean_c:  bootstrap-lean_b clean_s1
bootstrap-lean_d:  bootstrap-lean_c stage_c
bootstrap-lean_e:  bootstrap-lean_d stage_d
bootstrap-lean_f:  bootstrap-lean_e clean_s2
bootstrap-lean_g:  bootstrap-lean_f stage_e
bootstrap-lean: force bootstrap-lean_f

It won't work with any parallel build since "make -j 4 bootstrap-lean"
will start stage_a, stage_b, stage_c and stage_d at the same time. Do
I have any hope for parallel build in gcc?

H.J.