Re: Adding zlib to GCC

    Geoff> The questions of whether we modify zlib once it's in our
    Geoff> tree, or whether we put it in at all, are different and
    Geoff> mostly independent.  I wouldn't support GCC having its own
    Geoff> private zlib version, that sounds like trouble waiting to
    Geoff> happen.

I don't have a strong opinion on whether or not it shares the same CVS
repository.  But I think that we should studiously avoid using
anything but released versions of libraries and other components
wherever possible.  And given that, there's little benefit in having
it in the same repository.  There's also little harm -- as long as we
make sure that you never have to check out that module to build
things.

Just to be clear, the CVS issues don't matter much.  What am I arguing
for is using released versions of libraries, not modified source
bases.  For example, I think it is bad if a change to the development
branch of zlib that happens to be buggy causes the development version
of GCC to stop working.