Re: A truely ugly hack...

Gerald Pfeifer wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Aug 2000, Bruce Korb wrote:
> >> Have you tried `cvs -n update`? This might solve the locking issue...
> >   `-n'
> >      Do not change any files.  Attempt to execute the `cvs_command',
> >      but only to issue reports; do not remove, update, or merge any
> >      existing files, or create any new files.
>
> Hmm, you're right.
>
> What you could do if you want to access any given revision in the
> repository is something like
>
>  cvs annotate -r 1.37 filename | cut -c36- > /tmp/some/where/filename
>
> Of course this is a hack, but it works! ;-)
>
> Gerald

Unless and until CVS puts proper support for automated handling
of generated files, *ANY* method is pure kludgery.  I like it. :-)
Since the new location for generated files in GCC is off in an
obscure directory, there should be no locking conflicts.
(Assuming that people are not ever checking in generated files now.)
Cool.