This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
machine independent protection from stack-smashing attack
- To: gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Subject: machine independent protection from stack-smashing attack
- From: "Hiroaki Etoh" <ETOH at jp dot ibm dot com>
- Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 00:01:01 +0900
- cc: "David Edelsohn" <David_Edelsohn%IBMUS at jp dot ibm dot com>
I have been investigating a machine-independent change to GCC that
would generate code to protect applications from stack-smashing attacks.
The main characteristics are low performance overhead of the protection
code, protecting against different varieties of stack-smashing attacks,
and supporting various processors. A research report is ready on
the web (http://www.trl.ibm.co.jp/projects/security/propolice).
I would like some feedback whether it is worth pursuing getting it
assigned to the FSF for inclusion in GCC.
Hiroaki Etoh, Tokyo Research Laboratory, IBM Japan