Re: GCC headers and DJGPP port

  In message <200007220909.FAA11989@indy.delorie.com>you write:
  > GCC already talks to DOS: we have a working port of GCC since 1989,
  > when DJ Delorie first ported it.  We were tracking the GCC development
  > since then, and I don't think we missed any version (with the
  > exception of the EGCS vs GCC schism period, when we mostly used GCC
  > 2.8.1).  So GCC port is not something that is being born now.
  >
  > What is different about the next release is that we would like GCC to
  > be built for DJGPP out of the box, with all the necessary quirks
  > integrated into the official GCC distribution.  Until now, building
  > GCC for DJGPP required a few custom changes and special scripts that
  > were not distributed with GCC.  For example, the headers that GCC
  > installs when you say "make install" were ignored--this is the issue
  > we are trying to figure out in this thread.
I would love to see this happen too, but I'm not going to agree to install
changes which are fundamentally wrong, such as overriding USER_H.  We also
have to be practical and realize that DOS is a severely braindamaged system
and we shouldn't compromise our ability to DTRT on other platforms just to
make DOS happy.

jeff