Re: GCC headers and DJGPP port

> From: Mike Stump <mrs@windriver.com>
> Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 13:51:59 -0700 (PDT)
>
> Bear in mind, in the end, the only way to make the port work, or to
> test it, will be to download it and try it.

Of course.  It's just that others from the DJGPP team will actually do
that.

What I am trying to do is help arrive at an acceptable way of solving
the problem, so that those who will actually do the work would avoid
submitting patches which will be rejected.

Perhaps I should have explained that to begin with.

Is it okay with you to discuss the remaining few headers that are
relevant to C programs, and see which of them need to be installed by
GCC and which can be left out?

My information indicates that the relevant headers are: assert.h,
stddef.h, iso646.h, limits.h, stdbool.h, and syslimits.h.

I understand that cxxabi.h, exception, new, new.h, and typeinfo are
for C++ programs, and I think that varargs.h and stdarg.h should come
with the compiler, as they are closely related to compiler built-ins.
I also understand that you agree that we send patches which would cause
GCC not to install stddef.h, assert.h, and iso646.h, as the following
quote from your earlier message indicates:

> Bottom line, If you want to do up patches to autoconf for stddef.h,
> assert.h and iso646.h and not install them if the system already has
> them, I'd invite you to, I don't think anyone will argue to keep them.
> Before we do this, I'd like a person like drepper to buy into it as
> well, though I don't think he'll mind.

If it's okay with you, I'd like to discuss limits.h (and syslimits.h
that is related to it) first.  Why is it necessary for GCC to install
its own version of this header?