Re: Now GCC is really hosed...

  In message <20000712140538.C5708@cygnus.com>you write:
  > On Wed, Jul 12, 2000 at 01:33:51PM -0700, Bruce Korb wrote:
  > > 4.  sourceware.cygnus.com will run a cron daemon (that I will write)
  > >     that runs every {1|4|6|...|24} hours that looks at time stamps
  > >     of the predecessor files for the generated files.
  >
  > No, I think generated files should only be built for snapshots
  > and releases.  It's not unreasonable, IMO that building CVS
  > sources requires bison and gperf and autofoo and whatnot installed.
I agree -- to a point.

For things like bison, gperf, etc where the build system will
"just work" if they're either in the build tree or installed then
I'd like to see us not have those files in the repo.

However consider the configure files -- without them in the repo
nothing works ;-)  Thus I think it is in our best interest to not
remove those generated files from the repo -- at least until we have
the capability to have autoconf run and DTRT in an unconfigured tree.

jeff