Re: My proposal for the libgcc runtime ABI (ia64 gcc/glibc is broken.)

> But what has this got to do with gcc?
[...]
> I think it was Kenner who said that libgcc should only contain code that
> is actually called by gcc-generated code.

The EH functions *are* invoked by gcc, in particular by cc1plus. It
emits calls to functions which unwind the stack and thus need to get
at the global list of unwind tables.

> And yes, I know there are non-glibc systems out there. Obviously. But
> those systems still need to be aware of EH stuff if exceptions are to be
> used at all.

As a matter of fact, g++ works on those systems without any
cooperation from those systems. It does so by providing specific crt
files, crtbegin and crtend, which deal with the management of the EH
unwind tables.

Regards,
Martin