Re: empty function optimizations

Could a new flag be added to gcc for those who want to enable this?

--optimize_empty_functions

Or something a bit shorter to type?  :)

Thanks,

Matt

At 08:11 PM 7/12/2000 +0100, Joern Rennecke wrote:
> > This would break the gurantee of generating identical code with or without
> > debugging information.  Debugging information should be completely
> > removable with a simple run of `strip'.
>
>The rule of thumb is that -O1 should work reasonably well with debugging,
>while -O2 may be more aggressive.
>SO we could make this optimization default to on for optimize >= 2
>(or just make it dependent on -fexpensive-optimization).
>Of course, gcc has to tell the linker about the uses of a label are
>only jumps for this optimization to ork safely, we can make the creation
>of this information dependent on the flag setting.

Cthulhu for President. Why settle for a lesser evil?

Preferred Resources          (314) 567-7600 phone
701 Emerson rd.              (314) 993-6699 fax
Suite 475		       mminnis@prefres.com
St. Louis, MO
63141