Re: My proposal for the libgcc runtime ABI (ia64 gcc/glibc is broken.)

> Can you tell me who are going to maintain Linux for years to come?
> We, VA Linux, have sold so many Linux machines. What do we do? The
> answer is you don't have to worry about it. Someone will maintain it,
> one way or the other, just like gcc, kernel, X11, glibc, binutils,
> ...... libgcc.so is no different.

That's not a convincing response. For each of the packages you cited,
there is some person or organization supporting it, in the sense of
ongoing development (gcc steering committee, Linus Torvalds, XFree
Consortium, Ulrich Drepper, Cygnus/Redhat). Those I trust that they
will be there five years from now, or hand it over before they go
away.

Something being "Linux" is not a guarantee for ongoing support; many
projects have been abandoned, or stagnate forever (my NTFS driver is
an example; another is the bpe editor).

Are you saing VA Linux would commit to maintain libgcc.so? That would
be convincing also.

Regards,
Martin