Fortran Extensions

Since my last cry for help was so well answered, I figured I might as
well try again. (But I don't want to become too dependent...)

The old code that I am trying to port to linux (which compiled so
perfectly on AIX) declares many variables as type BYTE.  My compiler
seems to acknowledge this data type but it doesn't like treating it as a
logical var. ie the following code is rejected...

BYTE ELEPHANT
IF (ELEPHANT) THEN

because elephant is not a logical. I can't just declare all my BYTE vars
as LOGICAL*1 vars because sometimes these vars hold numbers as
well...help?