Re: config.guess and Linux/GNU

On Sun, 11 Jun 2000, Bruce Korb wrote:
> No, wrong, do *not* delete the "elf_i?86" entry.
> It turns out that the rest of the config.guess script depends upon
> "cc" doing the "right thing", which aint necessarily so.
> If you want to change the output for that entry, then
> go have a battle over whether triplets or quadruplets is
> correct, but leave this much of the output alone.  Too many
> people have too many problems because config.guess chokes and dies
> when "cc" does not do what it (config.guess) wants.
> Do *not* delete the "elf_i?86" entry.

Why not? If you have a problem with the original behaviour, you have to
change it in a way that doesn't break other things.
I particular you have to ensure that config.guess reports

i?86-pc-linux-gnu

on Linux platforms with glibc2 and later, and on Linux platforms with libc5
(aka glibc1) it _has_ to report:

i?86-pc-linux-gnulibc1

Otherwise you break configure scripts relying on that. In the GCC case this
will break at least binary compatibility on libc5 platforms.

Please elaborate a bit on the problem you have with the original correct
behaviour. I hope it's not just the simple missing link from gcc to cc you're
trying to fix :-).

Franz.