Re: nls patches - need help with make machinery

 > From: Philipp Thomas <pthomas@suse.de>
 >
 > > Robert, Richard, would you be willing to test the patches before I check
 > > them in?
 >
 > > Yes.
 >
 > OK, I'll send you the patches as soon as I've found a solution for Chill.

How about posting what you've already got to the public list?  Do this
prior to installation.  There are a lot of autoconf experts lurking,
they may have useful suggestions.  Less cathedral more bazaar. :-)

 > I'm still figuring out how I can get Chill's Makefile.in be processed by
 > configure, as that is one of the last problems on my list. The other is,
 > that the NLS configury doesn't seem to work as it should, as Geralds
 > problems with SuSE 6.4 showed (gettext tools not installed but support in
 > glibc. Instead of just disabling the catalog compilation, libintl is being
 > built).
 > Philipp

IMHO, --with-included-gettext should be the default.  I'd like to
think it would have preempted some of the problems we're seeing now if
we reproduced them on a glibc system.  I'd do this _after_ we get it
working though. :-)

E.g. we do the same for gnu-regex.c WRT fixincl.  We always use the
included regex lib instead of trying to use a platform's one.  Doing
this always gives us a known state and it ensures gcc's included regex
lib stays working because *everyone* immediately sees any breakage.

Last suggestion, please try to keep any changes necessary in the intl
directory to the minimum needed to get it working.  I'd like to avoid
forking our own version of gettext.  That hampers upgrading it in the
future.

		Thanks,
		--Kaveh

PS: I fully support getting intl working.  Thanks for tackling this!

--
Kaveh R. Ghazi			Engagement Manager / Project Services
ghazi@caip.rutgers.edu		Qwest Internet Solutions