Re: OS Ports of GCC/G++

> From: Witness <bm_Witness@yahoo.com>
> To: "'gcc@gcc.gnu.org'" <gcc@gcc.gnu.org>
> Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 17:24:37 -0400

> My team and I are looking to create an operating system. However,
> before we get to the final system, we first want to make a system
> that each team member can use that simply has a text editor and the
> GCC/G++ compiler. I've gone through the GCC web site and have not
> been able to find anything on porting to another operating system,
> only on porting to different Platform Architectures (ie, i86, Sparc,
> Alpha, etc; not Windows, Linux, Mac, BeOS, etc. which is what I
> want).  Could someone please refer me to some good resources? Thank
> you.

?  You didn't describe what you want well enough for me to guess at
what you want to do.  You either want to run gcc on a new OS, or you
want target a new OS.  Either can be done, and the steps for each are
radically different.

For hosted environment porting, you engineer your environment to look
like a posix environment, and the compiler just works.  For a targets
environment, you engineer your environment to look like a posix
environment, and it just works.  :-)

To the extent you want to create a headache for yourself, you can
deviate from this, and then have loads of fun.

I'd recommend compiling it up and assuming that it all just works, and
then as you find deviations, you can fix them.  When you are done
finding bugs, you're done.

For hosted ports, you can look at config/*/xm-* for details on what
other have found necessary on other host ports.  For target OS ports,
you can check out config/*/*, excluding the main .h file, and all the
xm- files and config/* and get a feel for all the OS ports.  For more
host bits, you can also check out autoconf files, and configure
files...