Re: Possible C parsing speedup?

> From: David Young <dyoung@vviuh221.vvi.com>
> Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 18:08:29 -0400
> To: "Turly O'Connor" <turly@apple.com>

> To my best observations, Apple now distributes gcc (egcs) under
> non-disclosure agreement and via this link:

> http://www.publicsource.apple.com/projects/

Tell em to fix it.  Tell em, we'll sick the open source community on
them if they don't.  :-)

> Through various routes I've been told that Apple legal will change this and
> that it is some sort of ... oversight?

Easy to believe.  We here at WindRiver we have a beta program.  There
is standard wording for the program, to limit our liability (you won't
use the beta in a real product, you'll only use it for testing and so
on), and a rather standard NDA, much like the one Apple has I bet.
When I found the wording, I went over to the manager of the beta
program, and told them that in order to beta my software (the GPLed
software), the wording would have to change.  I wrote up the
replacement text, forwarded it on to them, they sent it on to legal,
and in a week, it was past tense.  It doesn't come about via
maliciousness or anything like that, just out of not knowing, not
reading...

I expect the best way to handle this, would be to find the technical
people in Apple responsible for the care and feeding of that compiler,
and inform them, and have them read and understand the GPL, if they
haven't, and have them go hit their own people.  If they fail to
correct the situation, we can have the FSF sue them for copyright
infringement.  The FSF would love to enforce their rights in this
matter, if Apple desires to not budge.  :-)

They need to get right of the NDA for all `open' projects, it is just
wrong.  The definition of open isn't consistent with NDA.  :-(