Re: SGI releases IA64 C C++ and F90 compiler under GPL

[ Re-added g95-develop@lists.sourceforge.net as this is about Fortran ]

Matt Austern wrote:

> Andi Kleen writes:

>  > The most important part of the discussion seems to got lost:

>  > Which parts of pro64 would be useful for gcc at all and makes it sense to
>  > port anything at all given he differences in basic infrastructure and
>  > language?

>  > At least the F90 frontend could be used without any gcc changes at all --
>  > if I understand correctly it can generate C from its internal representation.

> Not in a tremendously useful sense.  There is a whirl2c translator
> (and a whirl2f translator) but they were never written with the intent
> of being used as a compiler phase.  They are mainly a diagnostic aid
> so that you can follow the WHIRL better.  It might be possible to use
> the f90 front end and whirl2f as a sort of f2c replacement, but it
> would take some work.  (And besides, is f2c really your model for what
> a good Fortran compiler should look like?)

Well, certainly it's not ours :-)

In fact, Andy Vaught thinks that continuing g95 development is the most
fruitful approach (see http://g95.sourceforge.net - item "May 17"),
because that frontend is designed with connection to the GCC "middle
end" in mind.

What _would_ be helpful if we could use the support (run-time) libraries
- writing them from scratch is a daunting task (this would also enable
some interoperability between code compiled by either of the two
compilers) ...

GNU Fortran 77: http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/g77_news.html
GNU Fortran 95: http://g95.sourceforge.net/ (under construction)