Re: SGI releases IA64 C C++ and F90 compiler under GPL

On Mon, 22 May 2000, Jim Wilson wrote:

> Perhaps more relevant to this discussion, if you look at the SGI compiler,
> you will see that SGI is also requiring copyright assignments from anyone
> that wants to contribute to the SGI compiler.

So two wrongs make a right, eh?

That argument is a non-issue. For a company like SGI, I'm rather proud of
them for having gone the GPL way. It's not an easy choice in many cases.
If copyright assignments make them feel better, then that's fine. They'll
be true converts one day..

I would hope that the FSF and places like Cygnus/RedHat would be more open
to truly distributed development. The kind where development is open to
all, and the resulting copyrights are also open to all.

		Linus