Re: SGI releases IA64 C C++ and F90 compiler under GPL

On Mon, 22 May 2000, Bill Wendling wrote:
 }
> Here here! This changes my view of the FSF quite a bit. They aren't any
> different from a corporation in intellectual property rights if this is
> the case.

Note that you really _should_ talk to a lawyer first. I know just enough
that I'd be nervous about what the actual situation is.

Also, I don't doubt that the FSF does what it does for good intentions.
It's just that I don't think that whatever legal reasons they have is a
very good reason to ask people to give up their copyright.

(And the most quoted reason is one I don't believe in: you can still sue
for copyright infringement if you're only a part-holder of the copyright
as far as I know. I bet the FSF is right that it makes it _easier_ in many
ways if there is only one copyright holder, though)

			Linus