Re: SGI releases IA64 C C++ and F90 compiler under GPL

    There are more people asking me to try to convince
    SGI to assign copyright to the FSF.

    Richard> I know very little about what SGI has released.  Does it
    Richard> have any connection with GCC, or is it a totally
    Richard> independent compiler?

I can speak relatively authoritatively about this, since I'm pretty
familiar with the technical details.

The compilers in question use the GCC C and C++ front-ends (i.e., the
bits that create trees, but not the bits that create RTL).  These
front-ends are linked with a previously proprietary SGI back-end,
modified as necessary for IA64.