Re: Cygwin v1.1.1 + gcc snapshots/CVS building tip

On Fri, 12 May 2000, Tim Prince wrote:

> I'm getting a few failures in gcc testsuite which I haven't seen
> before; notably all the .F cases (involving preprocessor with
> g77) are failing.  Mumit's work has helped tremendously.  I
> noticed that there is a place in the build where it looks for
> gcc to be linked to cc, linux style.  Don't know the
> implications of it.  My testsuite run just bailed out of g++ on
> time-outs, but I'll need to repeat on an idle system to see
> whether that's a typical Word or hung process side-effect.

Hmmm ... Here's what I see:

  failures 2000-05-12: 20000503, short, u77-test (15 failures)
  failures 2000-05-03: 19990325, short, u77-test (18 failures)

Note that I don't use Cygwin expect to run the testsuite, rather
use a hacked native NT port that at least runs to completion on
my NT 4.0/SP3 box.

The cc problem: did you see this when mklibgcc is being built
(`cc: command not found')? If so, it's ok.

> The alternative to changing the --prefix option between build
> and install is to set up symlinks from /usr/i686-pc-cygwin to
> the chosen directory e.g. /usr/local/i686-pc-cygwin   That way I
> don't worry so much about forgetting Mumit's advice.

Good idea, thanks.

> I'll have another go at running LAPACK, but I don't think cygwin
> is up to completing the make script properly.

I'm going to try this out over the weekend, but given that my test
machine has only 128MB, I doubt I can run some of the LAPACK tests.

Regards,
Mumit