Re: GCC 3.0 Release Criteria

I used to make the (apparently incorrect) assumption that submitting a
bug report with a fix to gcc-bugs was sufficient.  Certainly sending a
similar bug report and fix to the bug list for almost any other
project would be, but this apparently is *not* the case with egcs.  So
it's possible that things were lost there.  And of course anything
ARM-related went through Richard Earnshaw, etc.

But I also note that even things sent to gcc-patches usually entail a
rather long delay, sometimes even with no acknowledgement at all.

> Out of curiosity: Can you please point to specific patches in the
> gcc-patches archives, that should have been installed in a certain
> release, but did not get installed because of Linux?

I forget which patches *specifically*, but I know for a fact that
there were several known and well-tested patches that were important
to NetBSD that did not go in 1.1.2 because it was specifically slated
to support Linux.  Particularly ARM-related items that prevented that
GCC port from being at all usable (except that I incorporated the
patches in our own tree).  I'm almost certain that I brought up a few
of these on the list, but I don't have time to go search the archives
to find it.