Re: cp/inc licensing

In article <19817.957284095@upchuck> you write:
>I went as far back as 2/15/1992 and both paragraphs were still in libgcc1.c;
>someone would have to dig through older releases to find the history of this
>stuff.

One paragraph is part of the copyright message, and is in legalese.  The other
paragraph clearly comes after the copyright message.  My guess is that the
second paragraph was intended as a clarification of the legalese in the
copyright message.

I tried looking at gcc 1.42, gcc 2.0, and the internal Cygnus CVS archives.
In gcc 1.42, the file gnulib.c had no copyright message.  In the FSF gcc2
snapshot ss-920206, the file libgcc1.c has the copyright message with special
GPL exception, but no second paragraph.  In the FSF gcc2 snapshot ss-920312,
the file libgcc1.c has both the copyright message and the second paragraph.
gcc 2.0 was released 920222, and has both paragraphs.  Thus my guess that
it was added as part of the gcc 2.0 release process to clarify the special
exception to the GPL.

Jim