Re: GCC 3.0 Release Criteria

Andrew,
concerning the size of Linux kernel compiled by 2.7.2 compared to current CVS,
I guess you can reduce the difference by fair amount by using
-mpreferred-stack-boundary=2, that avoids unnecesary stack alignment
instructions and reduces code size noticeably (I am not sure whether 10%).

Perhaps someone may find time to make patch that will enable this option
by default for gcc newer than 2.95.x.  I believe latest kernels already
have some code to choose options depending on gcc version.

I don't have kernel sources here, so I can't test this myself, so if you
do, please let me know the results.
Honza