Re: 2.95.2 missing files?

I'm afraid you still are misunderstanding my situation.  You seem to be under
the
impression that I said I couldn't get my program to compile on a different
version
operating system than the gcc package was originally compiled for.  If you go
back
and re-read my original email you will see that I said the program WOULD NOT
compile
when I attempted to compile it on the same operating system I installed it on
(Solaris 2.5.1).
It DID compile successfully on a different version operating system (2.6)
than the gcc
package was installed on.  Understand?  See further comments below.

Alexandre Oliva wrote:

> On Mar 17, 2000, Derek Greer <dgreer@fedex.com> wrote:
>
> > I can build gcc on one version of
> > Solaris and run it on another because that is precisely what I'm doing.
>
> Yes, you can, but you'll find precisely the kind of problems you're
> finding, because of incompatibilities between the headers of one
> system, some of which GCC fixes in its own install tree, and the
> headers of the other system.

Incorrect.  I am running into the problems when I compile it on the system it

was installed on, not the one it wasn't installed on.  I am experiencing no
problems
when running the compiler installed on 2.5.1 from 2.6.

> > I was under the impression that the gcc was a full stand alone C and
> > C++ compiler.
>
> Correct.  But the C libraries and header files are not part of GCC;
> the ones provided by the operating system are used.

I'm assuming you meant to say "But when the C libraries and header files are
not part
of GCC the ones provided by the operating system are used."  This is fine,
but that being
the case it cannot also be true that it is a stand alone version when it
comes to programing
sockets.  "Stand alone" means it doesn't need pre-existing header files.

> > Perhaps the correct answer is that 2.95.2 hasn't been tested for
> > Solaris 2.5.1, at least with sockets.
>
> This answer is wrong.  :-) It will work perfectly well with sockets on
> Solaris 2.5.1, as long as you build it on Solaris 2.5.1.  Just try it
> :-)

I have already addressed you misunderstanding earlier, so I won't comment
further on
that point.  However, there is some reason why it doesn't work on 2.5.1.  One
possible
reason could be that the box I'm on doesn't have the correct 2.5.1 header
files
to begin with, but seeing that my group has been developing on this box for
years
that isn't probable.  It is within the realm of possibility that it wasn't
fully tested for
2.5.1 with respect to sockets.h, so unless you personally tested it for this
system
you aren't qualified to say my answer is incorrect.  Have you compiled a C++
sockets program
using gcc 2.95.2 on a Solaris 2.5.1 system?