Re: 2.95.2 missing files?

On Mar 17, 2000, Derek Greer <dgreer@fedex.com> wrote:

> I can build gcc on one version of
> Solaris and run it on another because that is precisely what I'm doing.

Yes, you can, but you'll find precisely the kind of problems you're
finding, because of incompatibilities between the headers of one
system, some of which GCC fixes in its own install tree, and the
headers of the other system.

> I was under the impression that the gcc was a full stand alone C and
> C++ compiler.

Correct.  But the C libraries and header files are not part of GCC;
the ones provided by the operating system are used.

> Perhaps the correct answer is that 2.95.2 hasn't been tested for
> Solaris 2.5.1, at least with sockets.

This answer is wrong.  :-) It will work perfectly well with sockets on
Solaris 2.5.1, as long as you build it on Solaris 2.5.1.  Just try it
:-)

--
Alexandre Oliva    Enjoy Guaranį, see http://www.ic.unicamp.br/~oliva/
Cygnus Solutions, a Red Hat company        aoliva@{redhat, cygnus}.com